Are Red Hat Enterprise Linux and Fedora Core fundamentally sound?

Kevin Fenzi kevin at tummy.com
Sun Mar 11 05:16:49 UTC 2007

On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 23:24:06 -0500 (Eastern Standard Time)
Wiktor Rzeczkowski <rzeczkow at mcmaster.ca> wrote:

> I did some testing of RHEL v.4 U4 AS, FC3, FC5 and FC6 and seem to
> have been finding that, soon after a fresh installation of the OS on
> a non-networked machine, many files were automatically changing. I
> also seem to have been finding that some time after package update,
> the files were automatically changing again.

This is possibly due to prelink?

See 'man prelink'

"prelink  is  a  program  which  modifies  ELF shared libraries
and ELF dynamically linked binaries, so that the time which dynamic
linker needs for their  relocation at  startup significantly decreases
and also due to fewer relocations the run-time memory consumption
decreases too (especially number of  unshareable  pages).  Such
prelinking  information  is  only  used  if  all  its dependant
libraries have not changed since prelinking, otherwise programs are
relocated normally."

kevin