Re: Another dumb question...

murphy pope wrote:
Everything that I've read says that the 'su' command will change my Linux user ID but not my identity. Here's what I see:

# id -Z
root:staff_r:staff_t
# su fred
Your default context is fred:sysadm_r:sysadm_t.

Do you want to choose a different one? [n]n
$ id -Z
fred:sysadm_r:sysadm_t

My identity changed from 'root' to 'fred'. Bug? That seems a pretty fundamental flaw considering that every document that I've read uses 'su' to explain the difference between a user ID and an identity.

By the way, I see the same result whether I use 'su' or 'su -'. I see the same result (a change in identity) whether I su from root to fred or from fred to root.

So which one is right? The documentation or the code?

I can't confirm this:

icon hagrid:[~]$ id -Z
user_u:user_r:user_t
icon hagrid:[~]$ su
Password:
root hagrid:[/home/einstein/staff/icon]# id -Z
root:sysadm_r:sysadm_t
root hagrid:[/home/einstein/staff/icon]# su -
Your default context is root:sysadm_r:sysadm_t.

Do you want to choose a different one? [n] [root hagrid root]# id -Z root:sysadm_r:sysadm_t [root hagrid root]# su icon icon hagrid:[/root]$ id -Z user_u:user_r:user_t icon hagrid:[/root]$ exit [root hagrid root]# su - icon icon hagrid:[~]$ id -Z user_u:user_r:user_t icon hagrid:[~]$

-icon