login default ... changed?

Gene Czarcinski gene at czarc.net
Thu Apr 15 21:21:05 UTC 2004

Now things related to selinux, policy, etc. have been changing so radidly that
my memory may be incorrect.

IIRC, it used to be that if I logged in from gdm as a sysadm_r user (staff_r
and sysadm_r) as defined in users, I would be logged in with sysadm_r.  This
appears to have changed (or my memory is faulty).  The default for a sysadm_r
user is to get staff_r and must use newrole -r sysadm_r to get that.  Good!
That is the way I think it should work.

The same is true for root.  As far as selinux is concerned, root is just
another sysadm_r user and the default role logging in from gdm is staff_r.
Is this what should be done.  This will certainly be a change for most users.
When I login as root from gdm, I do not expect that I will be prompted for
root's password when I invoke system-config-users from the menu.

I also notice that doing an "su -" to root or another sysadm_r user will
default to sysadm_r role for that user.  if it is from another sysadm_r user,
then I get a choice of sysadm_r (default) or staff_r.  If it is from a user_r
user, then no choice, I just get sysadm_r.

Comments??  Is this how things should work??

This is not criticism, just wondering.

Gene