Fedora Core 2 and SELinux

Stephen Smalley sds at epoch.ncsc.mil
Wed Apr 21 12:33:30 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-04-21 at 04:40, Gene Czarcinski wrote:
> On Tuesday 20 April 2004 22:25, Jeremy Katz wrote:
> > Disabled like the current "disabled" in anaconda right now.  Hopefully
> > Stephen Smalley's patch to allow completely deregistering SELinux hooks
> > from before policy gets loaded won't get torn apart too badly on lkml;
> > then we'll do that as well.
>
> I am unclear on this (anaconda disabled versus selinux=0).  Can someone
> explain?

The selinux=0 boot parameter is handled by the kernel and causes SELinux
to immediately abort initialization, so that it never registers as a
security module with the kernel, never registers its NetFilter hooks,
and never registers the selinuxfs pseudo filesystem (no-selinux for
short).  The boot parameter was introduced by RH to support shipping a
single kernel with SELinux included while still allowing for disabling
of SELinux.  But Jeremy later informed us that kernel boot parameters
are difficult to employ on certain platforms, so RH looked for another
approach that would be more portable across all platforms.

The /etc/sysconfig/selinux disabled setting is handled by /sbin/init and
occurs after SELinux has already performed basic initialization (but
before policy load), and merely causes SELinux to proceed under
permissive mode with no policy loaded (permissive/no-policy for short).
permissive/no-policy looks very similar to no-selinux in behavior, but
isn't quite identical and still imposes processing overhead on kernel
operations.

To address this problem, we have developed and submitted a kernel patch
for the SELinux module that adds a runtime disable that can be invoked
prior to the initial policy load, so that /sbin/init will be able to
truly disable SELinux, unregistering its security hooks, NetFilter
hooks, and the selinuxfs filesystem.  The patches were posted to lkml
and the NSA selinux mailing list, and are now in 2.6.6-rc2-mm1 and have
been submitted to Linus (but are not yet in bk).  Once a kernel is
released with this support, /sbin/init can be updated to use it.

--
Stephen Smalley <sds at epoch.ncsc.mil>
National Security Agency