Fedora and udev

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Tue Aug 24 09:17:11 UTC 2004

On Mon, Aug 23, 2004 at 06:50:14PM -0400, Joshua Brindle wrote:
> Greg KH wrote:
>
> >Please fix that patch up to:
> >	- not have any ifdef in the .c files
> >	- use the proper coding style
> >	- use the same convention as the other build flags have.

 dear greg,

 given that you do not appear to work for redhat, you will not be
 aware of some things, and therefore i should make some explanation.

 1) i am in a hurry.  i am doing a demo for some customers and
    it's gotta work and it's gotta look good.

 2) i don't get paid to do this, i'm doing it on the strength of
    the possibility that the demo will be good enough.

 3) i used to work on samba, providing NT domains compatibility,
    samba as you are no doubt aware is a program that allowed all
	those corporate linux companies who applied for IPOs in 1998-2000
	to "tick the boxes" when approaching potential customers
	(windows-only shops) where the most important box to tick
	was "file print and logon services".

	NOT ONE of those companies included me in their IPOs: i had someone
	come up to me in 1998 saying "i wrote a mouse howto for the
	linux kernel, and got enough money from redhat's IPO to pay off
	my mortgage - you worked on samba _you_ must have got a lot"
	and the guy was terribly embarrassed when i told him that i didn't
	get a penny.

    that trend continued right through caldera's IPO, valinux's IPO
	etc. even though i was working in the U.S.

 basically, what i am getting round to saying is that i'm sending
 what i have done here to the selinux mailing lists, and should it
 prove useful, feel free to use it.

 in several months time, i _might_ not have gone bankrupt, such that
 i _might_ be in a position to tidy things up.

 in the mean-time i'm sending what i have done:

 1) as a favour to redhat (and i am trying to forget 3 above) and

 2) because if other people do similar or same as i have, it makes
    my life easier for maintenance later on.

 l.

Truth, honesty and respect are rare commodities that all spring from
the same well: Love.  If you love yourself and everyone and everything
around you, funnily and coincidentally enough, life gets a lot better.