[idea] udev + selinux

Stephen Smalley sds at epoch.ncsc.mil
Tue Aug 31 19:26:43 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-08-31 at 15:18, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
>  i think we need the input of more experienced people than us to
>  say why these associate things are needed.

It provides control over the set of files that can live in a given
filesystem, based on their security types (equivalence classes).  As you
are now creating device types in a different filesystem type, further
allow rules are needed to allow that association.

>  a correct implementation of the
>  hacked-together-relaxed-fscontext-hooks.c-patch results in an atomic
>  operation (mount with a new context which would otherwise need to be
>  achieved with two commands: mount followed by restorecon)

The more important issue is that fscontext= lets you set the superblock
security context, not just the root directory context.  restorecon can't
do that.

--
Stephen Smalley <sds at epoch.ncsc.mil>
National Security Agency