ldconfig hanging

rich turner rich at storix.com
Wed Dec 22 01:10:31 UTC 2004

i am somewhat of a newbie at selinux so forgive some of my ignorance. i
am using fc3 and have created a filesystem using ramdev. in this
filesystem i have put a bunch of files, some executables, and would like
to update ld.so.cache in this filesystem by running "ldconfig -r /mnt",
where /mnt is the mount point of the ramdev.

if i put the running systems /etc/ld.so.cache into /mnt/etc/ld.so.cache
then the system hangs when running "ldconfig -r /mnt". however, if i
dont include the systems /etc/ld.so.cache into /mnt and then run
ldconfig, it succeeds.

i believe this has something to do with selinux because if i boot with
"selinux=0" then it doesnt seem to be an issue either way.

it also appears /etc/ld.so.cache is being handled in some way by selinux
because there is an entry in
/etc/selinux/targeted/contexts/files/file_contexts.

i realize the short answer is to not include ld.so.cache in my ramdev,
but i would like to know why this is actually happening.

anyone have any suggestions?