What does 'plus' in ls -Z mean?

Russell Coker russell at coker.com.au
Mon Jun 7 12:36:48 UTC 2004

On Mon, 7 Jun 2004 16:26, Ling Li <liling at gmail.com> wrote:
> Some files/directories have '+' when they are displayed with ls -Z. For
> example, # ls -dZ /lost+found/
> drwx------+ root     root     system_u:object_r:lost_found_t   /lost+found/
>
> What does the '+' after the mode 'rwx------' mean?

>From the SE Linux patch to ls.c:
+    modebuf[10] = (FILE_HAS_ACL (f) ? '+' : ' ');

I have repeated the same test on my system and found a '+' entry when it's not
appropriate.  I have verified that the directory in question has no acl, and
also verified that /bin/ls does not even check for the presence of an acl by
stracing it and seeing that it did not query the "system.posix_acl_access" or
"system.posix_acl_default" xattrs, and it did not call listxattr() (to
determine whether those xattr's existed).

At the moment I believe that there is some memory corruption in the SE Linux
code.