Getting the user ID in log messages...

Levine, Daniel J. Daniel.Levine at jhuapl.edu
Thu Jun 10 14:50:36 UTC 2004

I'm curious why the ypcat cron with a make reload would present its own
issues.  I guess it must be a security context issue since I'm new to it.

Is there a better alternative to visiting each machine manually and adding
the line to /etc/selinux/users (assuming that's where it is on my Fedora
Core 2 machine)?  I see there's something about local policy changes being
placed in /etc/security/selinux/src/policy/domains/misc/.   Can I also put a
users in there (or somewhere else).  If so, I suppose I could have a central
NFS auto-mounted location for my local users file.  So at boot time, I have
a nice sane policy (your default which maps all users to user user_u.  But
when everything is finished booting I have some additional information for
my users wherever you tell me to add it.  I guess my rc.local would then
need to perform a make reload to incorporate this additional information.
Would this be an easy and sustainable way to achieve what I want?

Do you have any better ideas?  I can't be the only person who wants to do
this, can I?  I feel like what I'm asking is not unreasonable.  Is SELinux
intended for single machines working in insecure environments?

Daniel J. Levine
Section Supervisor
Johns Hopkins University
Applied Physics Laboratory