up2date, Large Medium and small updates....

Stephen C. Tweedie sct at redhat.com
Wed Mar 10 11:24:30 UTC 2004

Hi,

On Wed, 2004-03-10 at 08:27, Richard Hally wrote:

> If you accidentally boot a non-SE kernel then /etc/mtab and a few other
> files
> will get the wrong label, which will be really annoying for you.

Yep, I noticed that one too.  Hard to miss it when the box won't boot.
:-)

I've been wondering how to minimise the pain of this.  If we can get a
shortlist of the inodes most likely to be bitten by bad labels, we can
check those on boot time, detect if there's a problem, and relabel from
(say) all of /etc (we can extend the list as we learn where the problems
are going to be.)

The more we make these things automatic, the less likely our users will
be to turn selinux off in frustration, so it's probably something we
should do for fc2-final.

--Stephen