dmesg errors (sgi_fam)

Russell Coker russell at coker.com.au
Wed Mar 17 11:24:11 UTC 2004

On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 21:01, Martin Ebourne <lists at ebourne.me.uk> wrote:
> I've googled for an explanation of what the problem is with fam/selinux but
> didn't come up with anything. I'd be curious to know what it is. Or even if
> there's a new replacement which supercedes it.

The problem is that famd is an application which accepts network connections,
wants read access to every file that any user can access.  If you want to
have a secure system you don't want many such programs.

Remote famd operation is only for non-polling notifications over the network.
For most people having polling for file status changes on NFS will probably
be OK.