Permission denied when building kernel

lonely wolf wolfy at zig-zag.net
Mon May 31 17:38:59 UTC 2004

Matthew East wrote:

>Yes in the README file with the kernel source it underlines that one
>should compile as user, and then su to install. But I was using the
>command "make rpm" as I thought that if I didn't install the kernel as
>an rpm, then it might cause difficulties for the other rpm packages
>which depended on the kernel. The "make rpm" command seems to require
>you to be root, possibly (I'm no expert) as it uses the /usr/src/redhat
>area.

use http://erizo.ucdavis.edu/~dmk/notes/RPMs/Creating_RPMs.html as a
guide for how to build rpm packages as normal user.

ps1: %_topdir    is enough to build rpm. the %_tmppath is just a
security addon.
ps2: i have never succeeded in building rpm of non-modular kernels.
"make rpm" fails while triyng the " make modules " part.