httpd avc denied problem

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Tue Nov 30 22:01:19 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-11-30 at 13:12, Karsten Wade wrote:

>   chcon -R -t httpd_log_t /var/www/*/logs/*
>   service httpd start

BTW, if this works, you'll want to do something to make the change
permanent.  Otherwise, the next running of restorecon will hose your
configuration.

Two options jump to mind:

* Move the logs into a path that will receive httpd_log_t, i.e.,
/var/logs/httpd/

* Install the policy sources (yum install
selinux-policy-targeted-sources), and do the following:

1. Edit /etc/selinux/targeted/src/policy/file_contexts/file_contexts

2. Add this line:
/var/www/.*/logs(/.*)?            system_u:object_r:httpd_log_t

Feel free to correct my regexp, but I think it's right. :)

3. In /etc/selinux/targeted/src/policy rebuild the policy with 'make
load'.  This will build and load the new policy directly into memory.

4. If you now do restorecon, the /var/www/*/logs directories should get
the proper context.

Be aware that if you make another change to SELinux, especially using
system-config-securitylevel, the file /.autorelabel may get created.
That triggers a relabeling on reboot, and may hose any manual
customizations not fixed in policy.

- Karsten
--
Karsten Wade, RHCE, Tech Writer