Getting PostgreSQL working again

Ian Pilcher i.pilcher at comcast.net
Sun Jan 16 23:02:27 UTC 2005

I just returned from 5 weeks out of the country, and one of the updates
that rolled out in that time is preventing PostgreSQL from starting.
The exact error message is:

Jan 16 16:57:53 home kernel: audit(1105916273.121:0): avc:  denied  {
read } for  pid=7164 exe=/usr/bin/postgres name=PG_VERSION dev=md1
ino=296800 scontext=root:system_r:postgresql_t
tcontext=user_u:object_r:var_lib_t tclass=file

I found one thread about this problem, but it did not seem to contain a
solution.  (Unlike that poster, my database is in my root filesystem.)

I'm all for a theoretical discussion about why this happened, but I
would also really appreciate anyone who can tell me how to get things
working again.

Thanks!

Ian Pilcher                                        i.pilcher at comcast.net