not installing SELinux with Fedora

Stephen Smalley sds at tycho.nsa.gov
Thu Jun 16 11:23:37 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-06-16 at 02:43 -0500, Christofer C. Bell wrote:
> On 6/9/05, stewartetcie at canada.com <stewartetcie at canada.com> wrote:
> >
> > Users of Fedora Core 4 want to know, how do we not,
> > repeat not, install SELinux?
>
> Since you're already familiar how to disable SELinux, the short answer
> to your question is, "you can't."

And just to be clear, disabling SELinux truly does cause SELinux to
unhook itself from the kernel's security framework, so that it is no
longer called by the kernel.  And the userspace SELinux code is
bracketed by checks of whether SELinux is enabled in the kernel, so it
also ceases to be executed when you disable SELinux in the kernel.

--
Stephen Smalley
National Security Agency