What's the proper way to set context on locally installed files?

Jason L Tibbitts III tibbs at math.uh.edu
Thu Jun 30 15:04:36 UTC 2005

Matlab, it seems, puts shared libs and binaries in the same
directory.  I will freely admit that Matlab is a piece of crap, but I
have no choice but to support it.

Until recent policy updates the location of the libraries was not an
issue, but under selinux-policy-targeted-1.17.30-3.15 Matlab fails to
start at all because it can't load its libraries.  On my system they
live under /usr/lib/matlab-14.2/bin/glnx86, and I suppose due to that
they end up with system_u:object_r:bin_t context.  If I do

chcon system_u:object_r:shlib_t /usr/lib/matlab-14.2/bin/glnx86/*.so

everything is happy.

I'm going to see if I can hack Matlab to look for its libraries
elsewhere, but if I can't I wonder if there's any way for me to
include local file context overrides for things like this.

 - J<