Questions about Apache and SELinux context inheritance

Ivan Gyurdiev ivg2 at cornell.edu
Sun Mar 13 01:34:09 UTC 2005

> So my questions are fourfold:
>
> o How can one cause the correct httpd_user_content_t type to be
> automatically assigned to user public_html directories (and
> subdirectories)?

Not possible. Put the folder in /etc/skel with the correct context.
Maybe this should be done by default in Fedora, or maybe not.

> o How can one cause the correct httpd_user_content_t type to be
> automatically assigned to user content (files) in user public_html
> directores?

Possible w/ file_type_auto_trans rule.
Will investigate...

> o Why are files initially receiving a user context of user_u rather
> than system_u ?

This is normal - the user part of the context is set to the user who
created the file - no problem here.

> And one file, slightly unrelated question:
>
> o When I installed this server and restored user data to it, the user
> context on all the files was set to root rather than user_u (and why
> not system_u?).  I've reset everything to the correct user context
> with chcon, but I'd like to know why this happened.

Because you restored the context as root, probably.
The user is set to whoever operates on the file.

--
Ivan Gyurdiev <ivg2 at cornell.edu>
Cornell University