Auditd & Strict Policy 1.19

George J. Jahchan SELinux at Compucenter.org
Fri May 20 15:24:01 UTC 2005

Stephen,

Followed your instructions, adding 'audit write & audit_control' at the end of
the capability section in the policy/flask/access_vectors elicits the following
error message when making the policy:

... too many permissions to fit in an access vector.

It will accept any two of the three in the capability section of access_vectors,
at which time it complains as follows:

... 'permission [omitted permission from the above] is not defined for class
capability' ...

Bearing in mind that the machines are live production hosts, how do you
recommend we address this (from the available choices below)?

1) For a limited period of time (until FC4 is released), we can live with having
to switch to permissive mode in order to start the audit daemon, and revert back
to enforcing mode after it starts. The hosts are not taken down that often.

2) We can upgrade to FC4 strict policy, with no assurance that it will work or
not cause other problems.

3) We can upgrade to pre-release FC4, again with no assurance that it will work
or will not introduce new weaknesses.

Thank you for your help.