applying SELinux policy for httpd

Daniel J Walsh dwalsh at redhat.com
Thu Nov 3 15:20:42 UTC 2005

Daniel J Walsh wrote:
> Joe Orton wrote:
>> I'd also like to mention again that the new FC4 policy of only
>> applying SELinux policy if httpd is started from the init script is
>> confusing the hell out of people.  It breaks the principle of least
>> astonishment.  I'd much rather live with the fact that SELinux policy
>> is *always* applied, and the fallout from that, than see this
>> confusion of people hitting SELinux policy issues, get confused,
>> restart httpd, see them disappear, etc.

Maybe we could put something in apache to check if httpd_tty_comm is
active or at least see if writing to the terminal is allowed, if
(access(tty, W_OK)) then put a message in the log file stating that
output to the terminal is disabled you can enable using setsebool or
system-config-securitylevel.

We can change the default to httpd_tty_com being true, but this
potentially allows cgi scripts  to interact with the terminal, by default.