libselinux question for httpd

Ivan Gyurdiev ivg2 at cornell.edu
Thu Nov 3 16:15:15 UTC 2005

> I don't think so.  Consider:  today, ls can call getfilecon(), which
> internally performs a getxattr(), which returns the string stored in the
> attribute value, and returns it back to ls for display to the user.  Why
> force that process to go through an extra conversion to struct and back
> for no reason?

You could still store it as a string, instead of piecewise, and then
extract fields on demand, when set() or get() is called. Then the
conversion can be done as a cast for users that want the whole string.
Anyway I haven't thought much about this problem, as optimization and
data hiding are usually the opposite of each other.. but there's
probably a way to combine them...