[FC5] Samba and SELinux

Stephen Smalley sds at tycho.nsa.gov
Thu Apr 6 12:06:15 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-04-06 at 07:48 +0100, Paul Howarth wrote:
> You can't have multiple contexts for a file, so it's not possible AFAIK
> to have both the original context *and* public_content_rw_t.

Correct.  See the "Multiple contexts" thread on the selinux list from
Jan 10 2005 for a discussion of why multiple contexts per file is a bad
idea.  In short, it makes information flow analysis impossible without
considering the entire filesystem state.

> If your web server is only serving static data (nothing that requires
> write access to /var/www for the web server itself), you could
> relabel /var/www/* as public_content_t. If you have internal scripting
> like PHP that needs write access, you could use public_content_rw_t.
>
> However, if you're using cgi scripts that currently need
> httpd_script_exec_t, you'd need to generate a local policy module that
> allowed samba to read/write the httpd_* types.

Yes, local policy module seems like the sanest choice.  If this is a
common situation, I suppose it could be incorporated into the upstream
policy under a boolean.

--
Stephen Smalley
National Security Agency