Selinux warning?

Tom Diehl tdiehl at rogueind.com
Tue Jan 3 00:24:39 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2 Jan 2006, Daniel J Walsh wrote:

> Tom Diehl wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I have an EL4 box that every time I do su - vmail I get the following warnings
> > in the log:
> >
> > Dec 31 12:25:22 roger su(pam_unix)[2055]: session opened for user vmail by root(uid=0)
> > Dec 31 12:25:22 roger su[2055]: Warning!  Could not relabel /dev/pts/3 with user_u:object_r:initrc_devpts_t, not relabeling.Operation not permitted
> >
> > (roger pts4) # ll -Z /dev/pts/3
> > crw-------  root     tty      root:object_r:initrc_devpts_t    /dev/pts/3
> > (roger pts4) #
> >
> Not sure why your tty is labeled initrc_devpts_t.   You could try to
> remove pam_selinux.so lines from your /etc/pam.d/su file and this should
> work fine.

This is a fully updated stock EL4 installation with no mods to pam or selinux.
Is this some kind of bug or do the tty's need to be relabeled?? As far as I
can tell, everything is working normally except for the warnings. In addition
I looked a little harder and the warnings are showing up whenever I "su -" to
any user.

What if any downside is there to removing the pam_selinux.so lines as you
suggested above?

I would prefer to understand what is going on here. Unfortunately it is taking
me way longer than I would like, to understand selinux. :-(

Regards,

Tom Diehl		tdiehl at rogueind.com		Spamtrap address mtd123 at rogueind.com