Stopping SELinux

Ivan Gyurdiev ivg2 at cornell.edu
Fri Jan 13 23:57:05 UTC 2006

Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Sorry to be a bore,
> but how does one stop selinux running?
> Is it sufficient to set "SELINUX=disabled"
> in /etc/selinux/config ?
>
> [I'm afraid since I started running selinux
> I've been having problems with my WiFi network -
> quite likely nothing to do with SELinux,
> but all the same I'd like to make sure it is not running
> during diagnostics.
> I have made the setting above,
> but still seem to get messages about selinux in /var/log/messages .
> Is there any process I should kill ?]

To stop selinux completely, that should be sufficient (I think), or you
can pass selinux=0 to the kernel.
In either case, you need to reboot the machine. To debug problems with
selinux, however, you should run it in permissive mode, which disables
enforcement, but keeps selinux running, and logging any errors.
Otherwise, any files created while selinux is off will have no security
context, and you'll need to relabel afterwards to fix your machine. You
can change enforcing status permanently by editing /etc/selinux/config
(or with system-config-securitylevel, or by passing enforcing=0 to
kernel). You can also use /usr/sbin/setenforce, which changes the
current enforcing status, without making it permanent (does not need a
reboot). You can use /usr/sbin/getenforce to check if it worked.