/usr/share - self inflicted issue

Stephen Smalley sds at tycho.nsa.gov
Thu Jan 26 15:12:41 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-01-26 at 07:25 -0700, Craig White wrote:
> The things I try to fix this aren't working...
>
> # fixfiles -R cups restore
> /sbin/restorecon:  error while labeling files under /usr/share/cups
> and on and on for every file/folder in the tree
>
> # chcon -t system_u:object_r:usr_t /usr/share/cups/
> chcon: couldn't compute security context from
> system_u:object_r:cupsd_etc_t

On the last one, you specified a full context rather than just the type;
the -t option expects only a type (e.g. usr_t).  But you don't want just
usr_t there anyway; you appear to have the right types
on /usr/share/cups already.  CentOS/RHEL likely doesn't have the cups
policy at all yet.

Not sure why your fixfiles command is failing; more detail would be
helpful.

One obvious possibility is that the cups policy might not allow access
to search /home, thereby preventing it from reaching /home/share
and /home/share/cups.  So you would have to add a local.te file that
allows such access.

--
Stephen Smalley
National Security Agency