Step-by-Step Guide To Creating SELinux Policy for Google Earth

Benjy Grogan benjy.grogan at gmail.com
Mon Jun 19 03:14:01 UTC 2006

On 6/17/06, Daniel J Walsh <dwalsh at redhat.com> wrote:
> Benjy Grogan wrote:
> > Hello:

> >> Google-earth is not the best example of this but
> >>
> >> The way I would go about it would be to first use policygentool to
> >> create my initial fc/if/te files
> >>
> >> #cd /tmp
> >> #mkdir googlearth
> >> #cd googleearth
> >> STEP 1
> >> #policygentool googlearth /usr/local/google-earth/googleearth-bin
> >> answer some questions to the best of my ability
> >
> > I answered the questions, but I had little idea as to what pidfiles
> > were.  As for logs, Google Earth doesn't use /var/log but I know it
> > must log something in ~/.googleearth.  That would be a directory that
> > depends on which user is at the moment using Google Earth.  There's
> > probably a better way of specifying this after running policygentool.
> >
> > I didn't know if there were any /var/lib files, so I left that alone.
> > The module didn't have an init script, which is used by
> > daemons/services, right?  The module will be a heavy user of the
> > network, so that was answered yes, but further restricting Google
> > Earth's network access would be useful, such as no access 192.168.x.x.
> >
> >> STEP2
> >> add the following lines to the te file to cause the transition form
> >> uncofined_t to googleearth
> >> cat >> googleearth.te << __EOF
> >> gen_require(`
> >>              type unconfined_t;
> >> ')
> >
> > First time I've seen ` and ' used.
> >
> >> domain_auto_trans(uncofined_t, googleearth_exec_t, googleearth_t)
> This should be unconfined_t.

I had made this change.  I was avoiding the policy completely by using
/usr/local/google-earth/googleearth instead of
/usr/local/google-earth/googleearth-bin.

When I do run googleearth-bin I get:

$ /usr/local/google-earth/googleearth-bin
/usr/local/google-earth/googleearth-bin: error while loading shared
libraries: ./libcomponent.so: cannot open shared object file: No such
file or directory

There are currently these shared libraries to take care of:

# ls /usr/local/google-earth/lib
libauth.so            libgooglesearch.so    libmeasure.so
libbase.so            libgps.so             libmng.so.1
libbasicIngest.so     libIGAttrs.so         libnavigate.so
libcollada.so         libIGCollision.so     libnet.so
libcommon.so          libIGCore.so          libpng12.so.0
libcomponent.so       libIGDisplay.so       libqt-mt.so.3
libcrypto.so.0.9.8    libIGExportCommon.so  libqui.so.1
libcurl.so.3          libIGGfx.so           librender.so
libevll.so            libIGGui.so           libssl.so.0.9.8
libframework.so       libIGMath.so          libstdc++.so.6
libfreeimage.so.3     libIGOpt.so           libtiff.so.3
libfusion.so          libIGSg.so            libtweak.so
libgcc_s.so.1         libIGUtils.so         libwebbrowser.so
libgeobase.so         libjpeg.so.62         libwmsbase.so
libGLU.so.1           liblayer.so           libz.so.1
libgoogleearth.so     libmath.so

I included libcomponent.so when policygentool asks for any /var/lib
libraries, so it's listed in googleearth.fc as

/usr/local/google-earth/libcomponent.so			gen_context(system_u:object_r:googleearth_var_lib_t,s0)

Not sure if this is the right way to go about it, because afterwards I
get the exact same message about libcomponent.so, and I'm sure every
other shared library is inaccessible too.  How could I go about
allowing access to these shared libraries?

Benjy