Openswan on FC4/5

Stuart James stuart at secpay.com
Tue Jun 27 11:48:22 UTC 2006

On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 09:22:26 +0100
Stuart James <stuart at secpay.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We are using Openswan to connect two of our sites together via an
> IPSEC tunnel. Recently we upgraded from FC3 to FC5 on our frontend
> firewalls, including the version of openswan , selinux policy,
> kernel ,ect. We used to run in enforcing mode without any
> difficulties, it now seems that with Enforcing mode on Openswan does
> not seem to be able to add the route.
>
> Using setenforce 0 , the tunnel becomes active. As far as i can
> tell Openswan has difficulty adding the route to the Right/Left
> nexthop, although the status of the tunnel appears to be up, the
> routing does not appear to take place.
>
> #audit2allow -a -t /var/log/audit/audit.log
> allow ifconfig_t self:netlink_xfrm_socket create;
> allow ifconfig_t initrc_t:unix_stream_socket { read write };

I've followed this up in more detail, adding to
/usr/src/redhat/SOURCES/serefpolicy-2.2.43/policy/modules/system/sysnetwork.te

# IPsec
allow ifconfig_t self:netlink_xfrm_socket create;
allow ifconfig_t initrc_t:unix_stream_socket { read write };
allow ifconfig_t self:netlink_xfrm_socket setopt;
allow ifconfig_t initrc_t:udp_socket { read write };
allow ifconfig_t self:netlink_xfrm_socket { bind setopt };
allow ifconfig_t self:netlink_xfrm_socket bind;
allow ifconfig_t self:netlink_xfrm_socket read;
allow ifconfig_t self:netlink_xfrm_socket { bind getattr };
allow ifconfig_t self:netlink_xfrm_socket { bind getattr write };
allow ifconfig_t self:netlink_xfrm_socket { bind getattr nlmsg_read
write };

As every time i added this, and recompiled the source for the targeted
policy, i got new errors in the audit.log. Although i have added

allow ifconfig_t self:netlink_xfrm_socket read;

I still get it in my audit.log

When ipsec restarts

Shutting down IPsec:  Stopping Openswan IPsec...
Cannot talk to rtnetlink: Invalid argument
Cannot talk to rtnetlink: Invalid argument
                                                           [  OK  ]
Starting IPsec:  Starting Openswan IPsec 2.4.4...
insmod /lib/modules/2.6.16-1.2122_FC5/kernel/net/key/af_key.ko
insmod /lib/modules/2.6.16-1.2122_FC5/kernel/net/ipv4/xfrm4_tunnel.ko
Cannot talk to rtnetlink: Invalid argument
Cannot talk to rtnetlink: Invalid argument

Any help with this would be great.

Regards,

- --
Stuart James