denied execheap, for httpd with zend optimizer (fc5)

Daniel J Walsh dwalsh at redhat.com
Wed May 24 15:35:30 UTC 2006

Jaak Simm wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> Can anyone verify that Zend Optimizer generates a execheap denial in
> FC5? Or is it just my problem? Zend Optimizer is needed to run binary
> php code, which is common for commercial php projects.
>
> Simple steps to install Zend Optimizer and verify the problem:
> 0. you have to have httpd and php installed (yum install httpd php)
>
> 1. Download and unpack Zend Optimizer 3
>    http://www.zend.com/products/zend_optimizer
>    (requires a zend.com user, which can be created  for free at the
> download site)
>
> 2. Run ./install in the unpacked dir of Zend Optimizer
>    It will ask few questions, but defaults should be fine.
>
> 3. Allow execheap, give zend files correct security context, and
> remove their execstack requirement:
>    setsebool allow_execheap 1
>    chcon -t httpd_modules_t -u system_u `find /usr/local/Zend/lib/
> -name \*.so`
>    execstack -c `find /usr/local/Zend/lib/ -name \*.so`
allow_execheap only effects "unconfined processes.  If you want this
rule for httpd you will need to build a policy module.

grep execheap /var/log/messages | audit2allow -m Zend
semodule -i Zend.pp

Should add this rule.

You might want to read up on execheap on the following

http://people.redhat.com/~drepper/selinux-mem.html

And report this as a bug to the Zend people.