newrole?

Ken YANG spng.yang at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 07:54:58 UTC 2007

bradley wrote:
> I recently have decided I was going to play with selinux.  Before I set
> the selinux value to enforcing I read up on it online and saw that to
> change my privileges I need to use the newrole command.  It seemed
> simple enough, but I don't seem to have this command and there's also no
> man page on it.  When I checked fedora forums some one had the same
> problem, and the only reply to it was to send an email here.  Does
> anyone have any information that can help me out?  I am using fedora 7
> on a thinkpad T60 by the way.

newrole is in policycoreutils-newrole package, which is installed with
strict policy,i.e. selinux-policy-strict.

in normal system, there are only selinux-policy-targeted, which need
not newrole command. before selinux-policy-targeted-3.0, there is
not role structure, so newrole is not necessary.

strict policy is more strict than targeted policy, which will put
normal user inconvenience. most of strict policy is used in special
situation, such as military.