mailman doesn't receive messages from sendmail on fresh F8 install

Edward Kuns ekuns at kilroy.chi.il.us
Mon Feb 18 19:29:04 UTC 2008

I freshly installed F8 on a new box, then copied the mailman and
sendmail configuration over from the old box.  I made sure everything
was labeled correctly with "restorecon -r -v /etc" and the same for /var
where mailman lives.

The web pages work, but if I try to send a message to any list, I get
SELinux alerts that prevent the message from going through.  I don't
believe I was using selinux on the old machine.  I know I could just set
selinux to permissive mode and this would probably work, but I'd rather
understand what the problem is and fix it.

Below are the selinux complaints generated from trying to send to the
mailman test list on my server:

Any ideas on what I can do to fix this?  I've been googling for a couple
hours and haven't found anything that fits this situation exactly.

      Thanks

         Eddie

Summary
    SELinux is preventing python (sendmail_t) "search" to <Unknown>
    (mailman_log_t).

Detailed Description
    SELinux denied access requested by python. It is not expected that
this
    access is required by python and this access may signal an intrusion
    attempt. It is also possible that the specific version or
configuration of
    the application is causing it to require additional access.

Allowing Access
    Sometimes labeling problems can cause SELinux denials.  You could
try to
    restore the default system file context for <Unknown>, restorecon -v
    <Unknown> If this does not work, there is currently no automatic way
    allow this access. Instead,  you can generate a local policy module
to allow
    this access - see
http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/selinux-faq-fc5/#id2961385
    Or you can disable SELinux protection altogether. Disabling SELinux
    protection is not recommended. Please file a
    http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/enter_bug.cgi against this
package.

Additional Information

Source Context                system_u:system_r:sendmail_t:s0
Target Context                system_u:object_r:mailman_log_t:s0
Target Objects                None [ dir ]
Affected RPM Packages
Policy RPM                    selinux-policy-3.0.8-84.fc8
Selinux Enabled               True
Policy Type                   targeted
MLS Enabled                   True
Enforcing Mode                Enforcing
Plugin Name                   plugins.catchall_file
Host Name                     kilroy.chi.il.us
Platform                      Linux kilroy.chi.il.us 2.6.23.15-137.fc8
#1 SMP
                              Sun Feb 10 17:48:34 EST 2008 i686 i686
Alert Count                   15
First Seen                    Mon 18 Feb 2008 09:18:28 AM CST
Last Seen                     Mon 18 Feb 2008 01:06:39 PM CST
Local ID                      78d260f8-f1d3-49b3-bea6-bc0cc400735c
Line Numbers

Raw Audit Messages

avc: denied { search } for comm=python dev=dm-2 egid=41 euid=8
exe=/usr/bin/python exit=-13 fsgid=41 fsuid=8 gid=41 items=0
name=mailman
pid=12198 scontext=system_u:system_r:sendmail_t:s0 sgid=41
subj=system_u:system_r:sendmail_t:s0 suid=8 tclass=dir
tcontext=system_u:object_r:mailman_log_t:s0 tty=(none) uid=8

Summary
    SELinux is preventing python (sendmail_t) "getattr" to
    /var/lib/mailman/lists/mailman/config.pck (mailman_data_t).

Detailed Description
    SELinux denied access requested by python. It is not expected that
this
    access is required by python and this access may signal an intrusion
    attempt. It is also possible that the specific version or
configuration of
    the application is causing it to require additional access.

Allowing Access
    Sometimes labeling problems can cause SELinux denials.  You could
try to
    restore the default system file context for
    /var/lib/mailman/lists/mailman/config.pck, restorecon -v
    /var/lib/mailman/lists/mailman/config.pck If this does not work,
there is
    currently no automatic way to allow this access. Instead,  you can
generate
    a local policy module to allow this access - see
    http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/selinux-faq-fc5/#id2961385 Or you can
disable
    SELinux protection altogether. Disabling SELinux protection is not
    recommended. Please file a
http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/enter_bug.cgi
    against this package.

Additional Information

Source Context                system_u:system_r:sendmail_t:s0
Target Context                system_u:object_r:mailman_data_t:s0
Target Objects                /var/lib/mailman/lists/mailman/config.pck
[ file ]
#1 SMP
                              Sun Feb 10 17:48:34 EST 2008 i686 i686
Alert Count                   1
First Seen                    Mon 18 Feb 2008 01:06:39 PM CST
Last Seen                     Mon 18 Feb 2008 01:06:39 PM CST
Local ID                      5d954998-3826-4af2-9569-0295ae134c27
Line Numbers

Raw Audit Messages

avc: denied { getattr } for comm=python dev=dm-2 egid=41 euid=8
exe=/usr/bin/python exit=-13 fsgid=41 fsuid=8 gid=41 items=0
path=/var/lib/mailman/lists/mailman/config.pck pid=12198
scontext=system_u:system_r:sendmail_t:s0 sgid=41
subj=system_u:system_r:sendmail_t:s0 suid=8 tclass=file
tcontext=system_u:object_r:mailman_data_t:s0 tty=(none) uid=8

Summary
    SELinux is preventing python (sendmail_t) "getattr" to
    /var/lib/mailman/lists/mailman/config.pck.last (mailman_data_t).

Detailed Description
    SELinux denied access requested by python. It is not expected that
this
    access is required by python and this access may signal an intrusion
    attempt. It is also possible that the specific version or
configuration of
    the application is causing it to require additional access.

Allowing Access
    Sometimes labeling problems can cause SELinux denials.  You could
try to
    restore the default system file context for
    /var/lib/mailman/lists/mailman/config.pck.last, restorecon -v
    /var/lib/mailman/lists/mailman/config.pck.last If this does not
work, there
    is currently no automatic way to allow this access. Instead,  you
can
    generate a local policy module to allow this access - see
    http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/selinux-faq-fc5/#id2961385 Or you can
disable
    SELinux protection altogether. Disabling SELinux protection is not
    recommended. Please file a
http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/enter_bug.cgi
    against this package.

Additional Information

Source Context                system_u:system_r:sendmail_t:s0
Target Context                system_u:object_r:mailman_data_t:s0
Target
Objects                /var/lib/mailman/lists/mailman/config.pck.last [
#1 SMP
                              Sun Feb 10 17:48:34 EST 2008 i686 i686
Alert Count                   1
First Seen                    Mon 18 Feb 2008 01:06:39 PM CST
Last Seen                     Mon 18 Feb 2008 01:06:39 PM CST
Local ID                      37d2b949-06bf-4cb0-845e-6aa41a16076c
Line Numbers

Raw Audit Messages

avc: denied { getattr } for comm=python dev=dm-2 egid=41 euid=8
exe=/usr/bin/python exit=-13 fsgid=41 fsuid=8 gid=41 items=0
path=/var/lib/mailman/lists/mailman/config.pck.last pid=12198