writable memory segment: mplayer

Stephen Smalley sds at tycho.nsa.gov
Thu Oct 9 12:45:59 UTC 2008

> Hi
>

> Since Fedora doesn't include this software, should a exception be added
> to the SELinux policy?
>
> "If you trust mplayer to run correctly, you can change the context of
> the executable to unconfined_execmem_exec_t. "chcon -t
> unconfined_execmem_exec_t '/usr/bin/mplayer'". You must also change the
> default file context files on the system in order to preserve them even
> on a full relabel. "semanage fcontext -a -t unconfined_execmem_exec_t
> '/usr/bin/mplayer'"

I'd recommend always telling the user to run the semanage command first,
and then run restorecon /usr/bin/mplayer afterward to set it on disk,
rather than having to separately specify the type via chcon.
setroubleshoot really shouldn't ever tell the user to use chcon IMHO.

--
Stephen Smalley
National Security Agency