changes from fedora 7 to 9

Robert J. Carr rjcarr at gmail.com
Fri Sep 5 03:07:10 UTC 2008

Hopefully this is a quick question to those that know SELinux more
than I do, which wouldn't be very hard to accomplish.

I'm migrating a (working) environment from one server running Fedora 7
to another running Fedora 9.  After pulling my hair out for most of
the day I've found out the problem is with SELinux because when I
turned it off temporarily everything worked fine.

Not to get into too much detail, but my problem came from apache not
being able to access a file (although the error isn't quite that
clear).  Between the working environment and the non-working
environment I can only see a couple differences in the selinux config
files in /etc, but these have never been touched in either instance.

The context labels are a bit different too.  The working environment
has these selinux context labels:

  user_u:object_r:httpd_sys_content_t

But the non-working environment has these context labels:

  unconfined_u:object_r:httpd_sys_content_t:s0

It seems to get an extra field and the user changes to unconfined.  Is
this relevant?

There is nothing else that I can find different, is there anything
else that could be the problem?