SELinux - back to basics

adrian golding adriangolding at gmail.com
Mon Aug 17 05:05:53 UTC 2009

To refine my questions in the earlier email:
1) many of the things the attacker can do if he exploits the Samba
vulnerability can be found in the source policy.  but there are also so many
other rules in the policy (hundreds?), my question is how do I know if the
other rules matter much?  there are >300 rules related to smbd_t, and it
just *seems* a lot can go wrong with the system.

2) how do we verify the part about what the attackers cannot do? does it
mean, if i cannot find a rule that links smbd_t with user_home_t with the
'read' permission, the attacker cannot read/manipulate user home
directories?  Or it is not as trivial?

3) i am assuming ports 137-139 and 445 are labelled smbd_port_t, but where
can i find this assignment in the policy? i am currently using apol.

thank you