xguest: firefox - execmem

Christoph A. casmls at gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 09:54:24 UTC 2009

On 18.08.2009 11:11, Dominick Grift wrote:
>> type=AVC msg=audit(1250580934.287:24730): avc: denied { execmem } for
>> pid=4845 comm="firefox" scontext=xguest_u:xguest_r:mozilla_t:s0
>> tcontext=xguest_u:xguest_r:mozilla_t:s0 tclass=process
>
> I have a feeling that this is due to a plugin that i not run in the nsplugin_t domain, but i might be wrong.
> Can you confirm or deny that?

flash-plugin is not (yet) installed for xguest

other installed plugins:

ls /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins
librhythmbox-itms-detection-plugin.so  libtotem-cone-plugin.so
libtotem-gmp-plugin.so  libtotem-mully-plugin.so
libtotem-narrowspace-plugin.so

> Afaik mozilla does not require { execmem }, but many of those crappy plugins do ( for example flash-plugin ).
> I certain configurations those plugins do not get run in the designated nsplugin_t domain.
>
> In that case firefox runs them.
>
> I am not sure whether mozilla_t domain transitions to nsplugin_t at all.
>
> In practice i believe it does not matter all that much what needs it. You can allow or (silently) deny it.

Silent deny would mean don't use firefox (because it crashes
immediately after I start it, if execmem is not allowed).

Does this imply that it has something to do with firefox rather than a
specific plugin, or are all plugins loaded at startup?

> You can use audit2allow to create an add-on to the mozilla_t domain.
I prefer to get it fixed upstream (it it is a bug) ;)

thanks,
Christoph