SELinux in netbooted images

Paulo Santos santosp at fedoraproject.org
Fri Jan 23 14:13:52 UTC 2009

Hi all,

I googled a bit about this, but didn't found anything so i decided to send
this email to get some information/help.

I have several servers running on a netbooted image, which on its base, does
not contain any selinux related packages.
Currently I'm installing on the beginning of the boot process the following
package:

Installing:
 selinux-policy-targeted  noarch     2.4.6-137.1.el5  updates           911
Installing for dependencies:
 audit-libs-python       x86_64     1.6.5-9.el5      base               75 k
 diffutils               x86_64     2.8.1-15.2.3.el5  base              211
 libselinux-python       x86_64     1.33.4-5.el5     base               59 k
 libsemanage             x86_64     1.9.1-3.el5      base              138 k
 policycoreutils         x86_64     1.33.12-14.el5   base              631 k
 selinux-policy          noarch     2.4.6-137.1.el5  updates           381 k

In the end i still end up with SELinux disabled.

My question is the following.
How do i enable SELinux already in runtime, after the boot process finished?
(or do i need to modify the base image, to contain the selinux packages)

I apologize if this information can be found somewhere else, and if this is
not the correct place to ask the question.

Thanks,
Paulo