Why can not user_t link var_lib_t files?

Göran Uddeborg goeran at uddeborg.se
Sun May 17 20:26:24 UTC 2009

Dominick Grift writes:
> Most stuff in /var is system stuff and not for
> users. So if a user has nothing to do there then no need to give them
> access either.
>
> Stuff like /var/spool/mail/<user> is  however accessible.

Most things in /var is ACCESSIBLE.  The same user that could not link
the file had no problems copying it.

I was under the impression that user_u was not meant to be overly
restricted.  It should not be able to do su/sudo and other kinds of
system work.  But apart from that I thought it was meant to be able to
do most things regular users on non-SELinux systems can do.

That was the impression I got from
http://docs.fedoraproject.org/selinux-user-guide/f10/en-US/sect-Security-Enhanced_Linux-Targeted_Policy-Confined_and_Unconfined_Users.html
among other places.  But maybe I have misunderstood things.