policy to allow myapp to exec chfn

Brian Ginn BGinn at symark.com
Fri May 29 01:03:32 UTC 2009

I have an app which runs from xinetd in the myapp_t domain:

        system_u:system_r:myapp_t

I am attempting to get myapp to exec the chfn program

however it reports:

chfn: system_u:system_r:myapp_t:SystemLow-SystemHigh is not authorized to change the finger info of test5

I have tried these macros from the reference policy:

usermanage_run_chfn(myapp_t,system_r,devpts_t )

type myapp_devpts_t;

type myapp_tty_device_t;

userdom_change_password_template(myapp)

usermanage_run_chfn(myapp_t,system_r,{ myapp_devpts_t myapp_tty_device_t })

but things still don't work.

SELinux is not reporting denials in audit.log, presumably because

chfn calls security_compute_av() and reports the "denial" itself.

Is there policy I can write that will allow myapp to exec chfn?

Thanks,
Brian