execstack fun

Daniel J Walsh dwalsh at redhat.com
Wed Nov 25 12:26:14 UTC 2009

On 11/25/2009 06:00 AM, Braden McDaniel wrote:
> I develop software on Fedora.  Since upgrading to Fedora 12, I now trip
> over this when my program tries to dlopen libjvm.so:
>
>         SELinux is preventing /var/user/braden/openvrml-dbg/examples/.libs/lt-sdl-viewer
>         from making the program stack executable.
>
> Changing the context of the executable each time it's built isn't
> especially practical; and disabling this check for everything on the
> system isn't especially desirable.  Is there a better way to manage
> this?

I was planning to bring this up for discussion.  I could write a rule that says

unconfined_t->user_home_t->unconfined_execmem_t
unconfined_t->user_tmp_t->unconfined_execmem_t

Which would mean that any executables executed from the home dir would execute in execmem_t since we do not know if they are java/mono/or some other lang that requiers execmem/execstack.

This would allow us to stop all executables that are installed on the system to require correct labeling.

What do you think?