The SELinux Documentation Project [Request for topics]

Dominick Grift domg472 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 1 10:10:16 UTC 2009

On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 08:13:42PM -0600, Jason Shaw wrote:
> Starting a SELinux documentation project is a fantastic idea, and is truly
> much needed!
>
> I am two months new to SELinux, and have literally put together an 8 inch
> binder of documentation from what I would estimate to be 50-70 different
> sources.
>
> Areas of deficiencies that I think could use more documentation include:
>
> 1) Current description of all objects and classes supported by SELinux

http://oss.tresys.com/projects/refpolicy/wiki/ObjectClassesPerms

This is for me the reference i use and google/maillists

> 2) Simple 'getting started' policy module examples to help explain things
> such as creating new types/domains and working with domain transitions,
> explanation of how testing through a SSH shell can give you different
> results than from testing at the console, and networking examples:
> restricting access to sockets, denying access to specific network
> interfaces, details explaining why one would use macros in policy, simple
> MLS getting started examples.
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=SELinux+confine+a+GUI+app&search_type=

Is a series of screencasts i created whilst creating a policy for google gadgets. it is far from perfect but it might help people get started.

I also have other screencasts:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=domg4721&search_type=&aq=f

and a blog with some stuff:
Especially my series on locking down selinux hs some nice examples in my view.
http://selinux-mac.blogspot.com/

> 3) Explanation of how SELinux can be different between various Linux distros
> (such as how enabling the SELinux strict policy causes RHEL 5.3 not to boot,
> how MLS does not support X in Fedora and other distros, why Fedora is the
> latest development version, and how there seem to be a lot of older tools
> for SELinux that have been superseded by utilities such as semanage.

Good idea.
> 4) Tutorials showing how to use SLIDE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2soA3CD2pY

A very small intro on slide. But agreed we should do more. good idea
Although it is best to know how it works witouth slides help first

> 5) Explanation of when users and roles are used and not used (for example,
> how their use can be different between files and processes).
good idea. noted.

> 6) Examples of how to test the robustness of SELinux configurations. (for
> example, try to access files and processes as root to see permission denied
> errors)

Good idea i think one or some of my videos touched on confining root and it impact.

Great ideas , thanks for your feedback. i will use this to create some new documentation in the near future.