Relabelling issue

Arthur Dent misc.lists at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Oct 25 20:37:40 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-10-25 at 12:37 -0500, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 25, 2009 at 13:01:49 +0000,
>   Arthur Dent <misc.lists at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> > I got an avc the other day that made me suspect that I might have
> > labelling problems on my Fedora 11 box, so I did a "touch /.autorelabel;
> > reboot"
> >
> > Should I be concerned?
>
> Generally it is a good idea to switch to permissive mode for a full relabel.
> Otherwise you might not be permitted to make the changes. Normally that
> won't be a problem after minor updates, but if things are to the point where
> you want to do a full relabel, it's generally simpler to make sure it will
> do all of the work needed rather than have to manually deal with the odd
> case here and there.

Thank you - but I'm not sure I fully understand what you're saying. Do
you mean that if I had first switched to permissive mode, that those
errors would not have occurred?

Surely if a particular context is "not valid" there is nothing a relabel
can do - permissive mode or otherwise? Or have I misunderstood?

My question was really:
a) How have I ended up with all of those invalid contexts? and
b) Given that, as far as I can tell, most things seem to work - should I
be concerned about these error messages?

Thanks

Mark