[Fedora-sparc] Status Update

Dennis Gilmore dennis at ausil.us
Mon Mar 16 22:42:22 UTC 2009

Hi All,

Last week i signed all of the F-9 based builds we have,  fedora-release has
the key in it. http://secondary.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora-
secondary/releases/9/Everything/sparc/os/Packages/fedora-
release-9-6.transition.noarch.rpm  with the new fedora-release rpm yum will
completely work out of the box. checking for signed rpms.  All of the
currently built updates have been pushed.  still working on some processes to
make things to mirror Fedora.

There are some known issues with the F-9 tree.

udev is not working as it should.  there are some installer issues still,
mostly to do with post install booting.  If after an install you get an error
trying to fsck /dev/hda  put in your root passwd and then "mount -o remount,rw
&& rm /etc/blkid/blkid.tab  && blkid" on reboot after that things should be
ok.

tftp installs currently are working. though one machine i installed on had
oddities. installing from tftp gives you very limited options. sun has put a
limit of 10mb in ofw for images.  if the image is to big it tries to boot it
at 10mb. (some machines apparently are limited to 6mb).  the default installer
tftp image was 16 mb.  we have had to cut out drivers to get under 10 mb.
there is not much we can do here but continue to fight to keep under 10mb.

the latest installer images can be found at
http://secondary.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora-secondary/releases/test/9-
Beta/Fedora/sparc/  or your nearest mirror.  they are in the process of
getting updated as i write this.

We have the majority of F-10 and pre-mass rebuild rawhide built.  I'm thinking
we should skip F-10 and go straight to F-11.   you will not be able to yum
update from F-9 to F-11 due to some incompatible changes to rpm.  If someone
wanted to work on F-11's anaconda that would be awesome.

Dennis