[Fedora-suds-list] SoapClient feature request

Waldemar Osuch waldemar.osuch at gmail.com
Wed Nov 12 22:16:54 UTC 2008

On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 1:23 PM, Jeff Ortel <jortel at redhat.com> wrote:
> Hey Waldemar,
>
> Thanks for you kind comments about suds and for your suggestions.

--8<---

>> I have even written my own SOAP client library so I can talk them.
>> It is inspired by your API but it is based on lxml[1] for all the XML
>> wrangling and httplib2[2] for all the
>> request/response/authentication/cookies stuff.
>
> Very cool.
>
> As for lxml, Suds started with lxml and ran into limitations.  It's a good
> lib but lacks tools for dealing with namespaces.  Specifically, it's lack of
> support for prefixes.  Given the lack of alternatives, I decided to just
> write what I needed and be done with it.  After all, it was only about a 2
> day job.

Yes, I know what you are talking about. The prefixes needed special handling
but then again I knew that I am not capable of writing XML parsing library
so I stuck with lxml.  I found lxml.objectify especially useful for handling
the results of SOAP calls.

--8<---

>> What do you think about switching the transport to httplib2?
>> It is an extra dependency but it makes http handling easier.
>> Or maybe one could come up with a simple interface and make the
>> transport pluggable?
>
> Yes, I think making the transport pluggable is a good solution.  It could
> ship with a default transport based on urllib2 as is and users can then
> switch it out for anything they choose without introducing dependencies on
> the core.

Yes that sounds as a good plan.
If you designated a place where contributions can go (wiki?)
I could upload what I have got as a recipe.  I will tweak it as needed
to fit into the plugin architecture.  Now the only thing left is to come up
with one :-).

Waldemar