[Fedora-suds-list] Persistent connections - anyone else interested / suggest howto / working on it?

Jeff Ortel jortel at redhat.com
Wed Oct 21 17:45:04 UTC 2009

On 10/21/2009 12:20 PM, Waldemar Osuch wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 8:05 AM, Rod Montgomery<monty at starfief.com>  wrote:
>> Currently (i.e. r580 / 0.3.7 release candidate) Suds uses urllib2, which
>> uses urllib, both from the standard Python library.
>>

>> I'm interested in making Suds able to use persistent connections.
>>
>> Twisted (twistedmatrix.com) seems to have an elaborate HTTP/1.1 Client
>
>> Another possibility is httplib2:
>
> Yes, it looks like the Client is using urllib2 by default but you should
> be able to replace it with a custom transport.
>
> Client.options.transport = YourFancyPersistentConnection()
>
> As long as YourFancyPersistentConnection confirms to Transport interface from
> suds.transport it should work.

Yup.  The transport functionality as factored out into the Transport (interface) and
urllib2 based implementations for just this reason.

> At one time I was playing with httplib2 to do just that.
> I needed it since persistent connections are requirement for NTLM
> authentication.
> Since then the requirements have changed and I did not finish it.

I just included a NTLM transport
https://fedorahosted.org/suds/wiki/Documentation#WindowsNTLM written by Christopher Bess
that uses python-ntlm which is based on urllib2.  This seems to work without persistent
connections (or at least it did).  Will this still work?  Are there advantages other then
persistent connections to using httplib2 over urllib2?