[Fedora-suds-list] HTTPS Client Authentication: Where do I get the key?

Hello all,

I'm new to suds. I've managed to get the public.py example working, which is great.

However, I'd like to get suds working over HTTPS.

My issue partially lies with my minimal understanding of exactly how trusting X.509 certificates work. I know that in Java I can take a .cer certificate issued by an authority, add it to my keystore, and then I'm able to connect over HTTPS to make a SOAP call.

In David Norton's post at http://www.threepillarsoftware.com/soap_client_auth on how to use HTTPS with suds, you need a certificate, but you also need a key. I'm not quite sure what this key is. Is this the public key of the endpoint I'm trying to connect to? It surely can't be their private key. Or is this meant to be my public key? Or my private key?

If this is the public key from the endpoint, then is there a way to generate this key from the .cer file? Or if this is the public or private key of the client, then is there a way to generate the user's public or private key?

On a related newbie SSL question, does each individual computer have its own unique public/private key used for all SOAP endpoints? Or does a user generate a new public/private key combination each time they want to talk to a different SOAP endpoint (or any SSL endpoint for that matter)?

I've also tried reading the httplib documentation at http://docs.python.org/library/httplib.html  and I still haven't figured this out.

Also, I'm curious if Michal Kochel's patch will be added to the system https://fedorahosted.org/suds/ticket/227 . I've also tried this patch but I've run into the same issues.

If anyone can shed some light on this problem I would be greatly appreciative.

Thanks,

Jacob