updates

Robert L Cochran cochranb at speakeasy.net
Sun Aug 3 03:00:46 UTC 2003

The really interesting thing about this thread is that it demonstrates a
clear need for Red Hat Network to do a much better job of explaining Red
Hat Network.

Speaking as a paying customer, I rate RHN's actual customer service near
zero. On a scale of 0 to 10 with 10 being the best, RHN rates about a
0.5. It does deliver a product, which is why I pay; but a quality
customer service element is distinctly missing.

There are ways to start to improve that rating.

When firstboot runs, there should be a window that asks the user, "Do
you want an explanation of what Red Hat Network is, or would you like to
skip an explanation?" Then there should be two buttons, one labelled
"More Information", the other labelled "Skip".

If the user clicks More Information, he or she is presented with a
clear, simple explanation of Red Hat Network, its costs and access to an
online FAQ. Here, the user can get answers to the concerns that have
been expressed here. When the user finishes this, he or she is returned
to firstboot.

If the user clicks Skip, the firstboot process continues, including
registration of the system with RHN. (But that process needs to explain
what entitlements are -- how they work -- at the time system information
is uploaded.)

This will start to address the biggest problem RHN probably has: its own
complete inability to clearly explain the RHN service to a new user at
install time. If it makes this beginning, it will take the first step
towards better customer service.

Bob Cochran