updates

Jef Spaleta jspaleta at princeton.edu
Sun Aug 3 16:15:15 UTC 2003

Michael Young wrote:

>I do understand the term "beta." But, I thought this beta was in feature
>freeze already, so it has a specific group of packages. Is my thinking
>incorrect? The process of getting packages to RHN is bound to be
>automated, so, why would it be so hard to populate the channel?

Question: is your thinking incorrect?
Answer: yes

Bound to be automated...hmmm yes...
automated QA testing...automated RH errata advisory writing...
yep I'm sure there isn't much in the way of human decision making as to
what is worth creating an errata notice for and then placing in the rhn
network channels.

I'm sure its not HARD to populate the channel..with a whole bunch of
broken packages picked up out of rawhide...but that sort of defeats the
point of the service rhn provides now doesn't it?  We are really early
in the beta phase yet...why not just sit back and wait and see.

>Well, "waste" may have been a poor choice of words, but I try not to
>make a habbit of giving away my money without getting something in
>return.

So what yer saying is...you don't pay taxes on a regular basis?

-jef"reading the rhn faq(s), before you purchase of subscription
helps"spaleta