updates

Jef Spaleta jspaleta at princeton.edu
Sun Aug 3 16:36:24 UTC 2003

Michael Young wrote:

>The current "add/remove applications" program is badly broken, and isto
>restrictive of what I can install. If RH had just put the rpms on the
>channel, I probably never would have started this thread.

Now here is a strange thought....maybe redhat developers actually want
you to try to use r-c-p and file bugs against it...why would anyone ever
test r-c-p and file bugs for it...if it were all too easy to use
up2date?

>I have *NEVER* stated I bought entitlements for the beta. I purchased
>them for a released version. Besides, RHN would be a great way for RH to
>notify the beta testers a BUGFIX has been applied to a package. Then we
>could all quickly and easily get it and test it.

>Having to add myself to the CC list on every bug report in Bugzilla just
>so I can stay informed of the status of a bug is time consuming, and a
>poor method of passing information in my opinion.

Holy crap no!!!!!!!!!!!
there is so much movement in rawhide from day to day....rhn's bandwidth
would get munched..not to mention the fact that is not necessarily in
every beta testers best interest to eat every rawhide package that comes
down the pike. Rawhide packages can break as much as they fix...putting
all the rawhide additions into rhn is not a good idea.  Not all beta
testers are equal...its one thing to encourage ALL beta testers to use
the prepackaged isos and file bugs against them. Its a far different
thing to say that every beta tester should be completely rawhide
up2date. The isos are the packages sets that need to be consumed by the
general beta tester populace...not the day to day rawhide packages.

And i personally think forcing people to track bugreports is a very good
idea. Developers need to use bugzilla to keep up with feedback. I don't
think its necessarily a good idea to encourage everyone to use the
rawhide packages...if they aren't going to give feedback back to the
bugreport that helped generate the rawhide package.  Maybe what bugzilla
needs is a digest mode..so it can hand you a compiled daily list of CC'd
messages for all the bugs you are tracking. That way you can get one
message or so a day for all the bugs you are interested in.  if you are
going to file a bugreport...then you should be prepared to communciate
via bugzilla with the developer about the issue, including feedback on
the potential fix that appears in rawhide....well unless all your
bugreports are the 'this font look skinny' variety...then you can
probably safely assuming the developer isn't going to need feedback on
the issue.

-jef"my klingon fonts look too slanted...where is the rhn update to fix
this!!!!"spaleta