Can I go ahead and install the fedora package? (was - Re: NVIDIA Question

Elton Woo elwoo at videotron.ca
Sun Aug 3 16:56:01 UTC 2003

On Sunday 03 August 2003 12:11, Peter Backlund Peter Backlund
<peter.backlund at home.se> wrote:
> The package is in QA, and therefore not quite ready for general use. A
> better way would be to use Nvidia's installer.
Understood. But I'm running Seven only. So my system's beta anyway.

> http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux.html
>
> If you're not sure, use the IA-32 driver. Btw, read the readme. Yes, all
> your problems will be solved if you follow the instructions there :-).
I've already installed *that* driver with previous kernels, but it now
refuses to create the module with the Severn (RH 9.0.93)
kernel-2.4.21-20.1.2024.2.1.nptl.

I'm quite willing to use their stock rpm (as previously, and to the usual
init3, editing of Xcongfig, etc. However, I need some "hand-holding"
(i.e. dummy / newbie level instructions on the exact procedure of how
I pass the option of "ignore kernel version" ... sorry, I KNOW it's been
discussed before, but I didn't pay much attention, .. and the instructions
assumed a bit more than 'newbieness' .

Furthermore I didn't *need to do that* at the time. 8-(

Thanks again,

Elton ;-)

P.S. and I *shall* read "man rpmbuild"!