updates

Mike Chambers mike at netlyncs.com
Mon Aug 4 03:29:59 UTC 2003

On Sat, 2003-08-02 at 10:43, Michael Young wrote:

> I have 2 basic entitlements (not demo, I paid money) for my 2 home
> machines. AFAIK, basic entitlements are targeted at the home user. So,
> if I run a beta on 1 of my 2 systems, an entitlement is automatically
> being wasted.

RHN is geared toward official releases only, or for downloading ISO's or
for getting faster updates, for paid subscribers.  Sure it's included in
the betas, but every package has to be tested no matter what they do.

But if you choose to beta test, that is an option, not a requirement.
Nor is it a requirement to use RHN, or to provide any updates via RHN
for beta releases.  Beta's are betas, no matter the name or what they
are a beta of, and aren't *suppose* to be supplied with updates/fixes.
Sure the fixes are needed, but if they are provided via RHN or until the
next beta release, your stuck with it.

Besides, since your a paying customer, wouldn't you be pissed off if all
fixes were supplied via RHN and it interfered with your paid
subscription to your official released RHN account that you paid for but
can't get to because all those beta fixes were being downloaded?

Not trying to belittle you or be against you, just trying to explain
what the beta cycle is and what it's used for.

Hope this helps,

--
Mike Chambers
Madisonville, KY

"Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege."