How do I shut down this ports

Michael K. Johnson johnsonm at redhat.com
Tue Aug 5 19:58:31 UTC 2003

On Tue, Aug 05, 2003 at 01:20:38PM -0600, Abraham Al-Saleh wrote:
> Hmm... I can honestly say I've never seen it done that way. The courses
> at the DATC have always said to just move the script from a start to a
> kill. (well, that or use a graphical tools. ::  shudders slightly  ::) I
> will have to try that.

The chkconfig program I think first came with Irix, but it was in the
early Red Hat Linux 4.x days that Erik Troan (IIRC) re-implemented that
interface from scratch as free software, and then we extended it quite
a bit to make it a lot more useful.  But I think that the
chkconfig servicename off
syntax is part of the orignial syntax; even if it isn't, it has been
part of Red Hat's implementation for donkey's years...

man chkconfig -- it's a wonderful little time-saver.  And it's SOOO
much harder to make a mistake with it and not notice than it is when
manually playing about with init scripts.

michaelkjohnson

 http://people.redhat.com/johnsonm/lad/