Real Player 8 works ... Surprised... Other Multimedia

Ali-Reza Anghaie ali at packetknife.com
Sat Aug 9 15:20:36 UTC 2003

On Friday 08 August 2003 23:52, Jim Cornette wrote:
> Since I have a completely new installation. I thought that I'd try Real
> player and found version 8. I installed it, expecting it to not work.
>
> I didn't have to add LD_ASSUME_KERNEL whatever.

Just wait.  ;-)    I'm using the RealOne alpha under RHL 9 and Severn w/o
issues and no special parms but I've heard it can work better w/
LD_ASSUME_KERNEL.

> My question is mainly asking about why the prefix to launch the program
> is no longer needed. Is there some list to reference certain apps before
> nptl? Or is the Severn kernel "unbroke"?

I think LD_ASSUME_KERNEL along w/ en_US instead of UTF became two very
popular suggestions in the past few years. I'm not ever sure the kernels
were ~more~ to blame than the developers of the third-party bits BTW.

> Also, I'm trying out certain DVD playing applications from freshrpms.
> For the Xine pleyer, I got a problem with Severn having a newer version

I thought there was a freshrpms mailing list but I could be mistaken. Try
fedora.us and their Severn repository.

Cheers, -Ali

--
OpenPGP Key: 030E44E6